Pages

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Ultimate Race

Jittery and jumpy, I lined up with all the other competitors. Shivers slithered down my spine. I hopped up and down full of nervous excitement. Quickly I shut my eyes and took a deep breath. “You can do this,” I whispered in my mind.

All of a sudden the clappers sounded and there were flailing arms and legs everywhere. Everyone was jostling for position, wanting to win first place. “Bajeebas, they’re fast!” I whispered to myself. I felt like my legs had turned into jelly, so wobbly.
“Come on Reka! You can do it!” said a voice in my mind. “Doesn’t matter where you come just be proud of yourself.” I had no idea who that was but it sure encouraged me.

As I passed a corner, and then another my muscles ached and mud was squelching under my feet. “You’re really close, don’t give up now,” I murmured to myself. As I gasped for breath I kept asking myself, “Am I able to continue?” My arms felt tired out, my eyes felt like they were burning.

Before long I spotted the finish line and powered ahead wanting to complete the race. I panted and wheezed as I crossed the finish line. It felt like I couldn’t breathe or feel my legs. Coming 6th didn’t matter to me. My task for this year’s cross country was to be able to complete the race no matter where I came - to be proud of the fact that I had finished it with perseverance.

By Toreka

No comments:

Post a Comment